Labor Organizer Job Opening
Southwest Workers Union (SWU) is seeking a full time Labor Organizer to lead organizing efforts for public school worker members and to support campaign development for just economic policy and labor practices. The Labor Organizer will work with the Labor Program Coordinator to organize public school workers in 6 school districts in San Antonio and Austin, Texas as a part of SWU’s organizational goal to build grassroots power in low-income communities.
· Build and maintain relationships with public school workers
· Represent membership through the grievance process and relevant administrative meetings and hearings
· Hold regular membership meetings
· Mobilize members to participate in membership and school board meetings, campaigns, and leadership development trainings
· Develop popular education based training curriculum with member input
· Develop and implement membership recruitment plan
· Maintain member database, and administrative and reporting duties
· Work with Program Coordinator to develop a labor media plan
· Work with Program Coordinator to plan and execute direct actions, community meetings, civic engagement and other activities in support of economic and labor justice campaign goals
· Work with other staff to produce member newsletters
· A strong commitment to social justice and organizing within low-income communities
· Comfort with public speaking
· Computer and writing skills
· Bilingual in Spanish and English
· At least one year of relevant organizing or campaigning experience
· Experience with the grievance process
This is a full-time position located in San Antonio, TX that is open immediately. This position is subject to a probationary training period of 3-months, after which the employee will be evaluated and eligible for a staff position with benefits. Compensation: Monthly, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for two references to Jill Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org. People of color, women, and LGBTQ are strongly encouraged to apply.
Southwest Workers Union is a 23-year old grassroots social justice organization of low-income workers, community, and youth united in one struggle for workers rights, environmental justice, and youth empowerment. SWU believes in inter-generational organizing, bottom-up movement-building, and the development of grassroots leaders as a means to bring about systemic social change. Please visit our website at http://www.swunion.org or contact us as 210.299.2666.